108 West French Place

108 West French Place

Many of the stately mansions that once graced French Place have been razed, including the Leroy Denman home directly across the street from 108 W. French Pl. Its loss in 1973 was the catalyst for formation of the historic district. Designed by Atlee B. Ayres for builder/developer W. D. Syers in 1911, the Daniels’ home was first occupied by Bishop and Mrs. W. T. Capers in 1914. The home remained in the ownership of the Episcopal Church until 1962 when it was sold to Benancio and Hugette Juarez and her sister, Mrs. Claude Rideau. The sisters ran the Paris Beauty Salon in the enclosed wrap-around porch. The families also lived in the home and rented the third floor as a separate apartment. Present owners have restored the property to its original single family use.

Architect Ayres gave the home eight-foot tall windows with his distinctive snowflake motif transoms on top. The design of the home melds more traditional architectural styles with the newly emerging arts and crafts movement, as evidenced by the decorative horizontal bands around the blond brick exterior and the style of the trim inside the house. The curvilinear is juxtaposed with the horizontal on the tall, vertical structure. The house has three floors of living space with 11, 10, and 9 foot ceilings, respectively. It is built on a full basement. Situated on the escarpment above San Pedro Springs, the third floor has a view of downtown. A portion of the bricked “New Orleans style” rear yard is the original carriage run.


  • Year Built: 1911
  • Home Style: Craftsman
  • Residential

Sign Up for Emails


Monte Vista Historical Association
PO Box 12386
San Antonio, Texas 78212